Home :: Dalmane
Generic name: Flurazepam hydrochloride
Dalmane (Flurazepam) is a benzodiazepine used to treat sleep disorders (insomnia). nformation and resources about the drug flurazepam - Dalmane - a medication sometimes used to treat panic and anxiety disorders. Flurazepam is the generic name. Dalmane is the brand name. It belongs to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines.
- The usual recommended dose is 30 milligrams at bedtime; however 15 milligrams may be all that is necessary. Your doctor will adjust the dose to your needs.
- Safety and effectiveness of Dalmane have not been established in children under 15 years of age.
- Your doctor will limit the dosage to the smallest effective amount to avoid oversedation, dizziness, confusion, or lack of muscle coordination. The usual starting dose is 15 milligrams.
Uses of Dalmane
- This medication is used for the short-term treatment of patients with trouble sleeping (insomnia). It is generally used for 7-10 days. It may help you fall asleep faster and decrease the number of times you awaken during the night. It may also help you sleep for a longer period of time. Flurazepam belongs to a class of medications called sedative/hypnotics. It acts on your brain to produce a calming effect.
Side Effects of Dalmane
Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Dalmane. Side effects may include:
- Dizziness, drowsiness, falling, lack of muscular coordination, light-headedness, staggering.
- Abdominal and muscle cramps, convulsions, depressed mood, inability to fall asleep or stay asleep, sweating, tremors, vomiting.
Warnings and precautions before taking Dalmane:
- Dalmane will cause you to become drowsy or less alert; therefore, you should not drive or operate dangerous machinery or participate in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness after taking Dalmane.
- If you are severely depressed or have suffered from severe depression, consult with your doctor before taking Dalmane.
- Dalmane medicine should be avoided during pregnancy as it may be harmful to the developing baby. This is particularly important during the third trimester of pregnancy and prior to or during labour.
- If you have decreased kidney or liver function or chronic respiratory or lung disease, discuss use of Dalmane with your doctor.
- This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy, or cause temporary blurred vision. Use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness or clear vision such as driving or using machinery. Avoid alcoholic beverages because they may increase the risk of this drug's side effects.
Drug Interaction :- Alcohol intensifies the effects of Dalmane. Do not drink alcohol while taking Dalmane.If Dalmane is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Dalmane with the following:
- Antidepressants such as Elavil and Tofranil
- Antihistamines such as Benadryl and Tavist
- Antipsychotic drugs such as Mellaril and chlorpromazine
- Barbiturates such as Seconal and phenobarbital
- Narcotic painkillers such as Demerol and Tylenol with Codeine
Any medication taken in excess can cause symptoms of overdose. If you suspect an overdose of Dalmane, seek medical attention immediately. The symptoms of Dalmane overdose may include:
- Coma, confusion, low blood pressure, sleepiness
- Symptoms of overdose may include confusion, slow reflexes, clumsiness, deep sleep, and loss of consciousness.